is divided into three sessions: pre-trip,
trip, and post-trip
sessions. The pre-trip session will consist of assignments
using the course web site. These assignments will focus
on background information on Peru, its ecosystems, its
history and government, and its human impacts on biodiversity.
The trip session will consist of a two week visit to Peru.
Several evening programs will be presented while on the
The following topics, or ones related to these, will be
• Biodiversity and Speciation
• Biogeography of Peru
• Rainforest structure and stability
• Identifying the variety of life (flora and fauna)
that exists in the rainforest
• Interspecific interactions
• Disturbance and community structure
• Species richness and abundance: biotic and abiotic
• Evolutionary adaptations of desert and rainforest
• Importance of biodiversity and threats (required
reading, The Future of Life, E.O. Wilson)
• Peru’s conservation efforts
Submission of reports and assignments will occur during
the post trip session (see Outline
for more information).