Undergraduate Research Opportunities
Undergraduate and graduate students, pre-service and in-service
teachers are involved in every aspect of her research.
For more information visit Dr. McLaughlin's web-site
or her curricular vitae.
- McLaughlin, J. S., & Munsell, D. S. (2011). Evolving on-line pedagogy: developing research-based multimedia learning tools for the high school and undergraduate biology "classroom." International Journal of On-line Pedagogy and Course Design (IJOPCD), in press.
- McLaughlin, J. S. and Seaquist S. (2008). Using a virtual tissue culture system to assist students in understanding life at the cellular level. The American Biology Teacher, 70 (7): 468-473.
- McLaughlin, J. S., and Arbeider, D. (2008). Evaluating multimedia-learning tools based on authentic research data that teach biology concepts and environmental stewardship. Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education, 8(1): 1-19. Retrieved from http://www.citejournal.org/tempcite/vol8/iss1/science/article1.cfm
Back to top
- Bonner, L. & McLaughlin, J. S. "Stimulation of Red Blood Cell Differentiation In Vitro: Replication of a Classic Experiment Enhances Inquiry in the Undergraduate Laboratory." NABT 2011 Professional Development Conference, Anaheim, CA, October 13, 2011.
- Invited: McLaughlin. J. S., Munsell, D. S. & Fadigan, K. A. "CHANCE: Empowering K-12 Science Education through Inquiry." Smithsonian Tropical Research Institute (STRI) Professional Development Workshop. Panama City, Panama, June 24, 2011.
- Bonner, L., Karam, M., Rodriguez, A., Ross, R. & McLaughlin, J. "Maximizing Growth and Differentiation of Murine Erythroid Leukemia (MEL) Cells In Vitro." 1st Penn State Regional Undergraduate Research Exhibition, Penn State Lehigh Valley campus, April 20, 2011. (Awarded 1st Place overall)
- O'Malley, M., Haupt, A., Carrick, H. & McLaughlin, J. "A Pilot Study of the Pollution and Eutrophication of Lake Taihu in Wuxi, China: An Analysis of Water Quality at Three Field Sites." Penn State Undergraduate Exhibition, University Park Campus. April 13, 2011. (Awarded 1st Place in "Course-Related Research" category)
- Hinkle, J. C. & McLaughlin, J. S. "Use of an Improved Isolated Chicken Embryonic Heart In Vitro System to Study Vertebrate Heart Development and Physiology." National Science Teachers Association (NSTA) Annual Conference/Society of College Science Teachers Conference (SCST), New Orleans, Louisiana, March 18-22, 2009.
- Hinkle, J. C. & McLaughlin, J. S. "Use of an Improved Isolated Chicken Embryonic Heart In Vitro System to Study Vertebrate Heart Development and Physiology." Society for Developmental Biology 67th Annual Meeting, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, July 26-30, 2008.
- Seaquist, S. & McLaughlin, J. S. "Using a Virtual Tissue Culture System to Assist Students in Understanding Life at the Cellular Level." National Science Teachers Association Annual Conference/Society of College Science Teachers Conference, Boston, Massachusetts, March 27 - 30, 2008.
- McLaughlin, J. S. & Dreher, T. "Use Customized Multimedia-Learning Tools Based on Real-Life Research Data to Teach Science Concepts." National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) Annual Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, November 28 - December 2, 2007.
- McLaughlin, J. S. & Arbeider, D. A. "A Technology-Enriched Learning Object to Enhance Student Learning of Core Biological Concepts and Real World Environmental Issues." Smith Undergraduate Science Research Symposium, Pennsylvania State University, York Campus, October 21, 2006.
- McLaughlin, J. S., Dugan, T. R., Stine, J. & Arbeider, D. A. "CHANCE Empowers Pennsylvania's Teachers to Return to Their Classrooms to Better Educate Our Youth." National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) K-12 Outreach Symposium, Albuquerque, New Mexico, October 10, 2006.
- McLaughlin, J. S., O'Neill, R. & Ferraco, A. "CHANCE - A Program That Promotes Learning for Teachers and Students Using Inquiry." National Association of Biology Teachers (NABT) Annual Conference, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, October 5-9, 2005.
- McLaughlin, J. S., Kepner, S., Polignone, J. & Pummer, K. & Yerkes, P. & Arbeider, D. "Inquiry-Based Research Web-Modules': Students will go Bananas Over Them!" 6th Annual Undergraduate Research and Expression, Albright College, Reading, PA, April 16, 2005.
- McLaughlin, J. S., Krock, B. L. & McCollum, B. D "Grab Your Suitcase! Students Explore World Ecosystems in a First-Year Seminar Experience." Undergraduate Research and Expression, Reading Area Community College, April 24, 2004.
- McLaughlin, J. S., Krock, B. L. & McCollum, B. D. "Grab Your Suitcase! Students Explore World Ecosystems in a First-Year Seminar Experience." Wings to the Future: Lifting Learners to Higher-Order Thinking, The Teaching and Learning Consortia, Penn State Harrisburg, April 17, 2004.
Back to top
Student Research Showcased on Peer-Reviewed Web site:
- McLaughlin, J. S. & McCain, E. R. (2011). Laboratory Exercise in Heart Development. Available at (October 27, 2011 www.sdbonline.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=27&It Copyright ©2011 The Society of Developmental Biology. [This publication is peer-reviewed via the SDB BioScience Education Network (BEN) and showcases PSULV undergraduate research papers and presentations.]
Back to top
||Exogenously Added Verapamil on the 5-day Chicken Isolated Heart Increases Heart Rate and Induces Atrial Flutter
by Foram Dave
||The Effects of Caffeine on the 4-Day Old Chicken Embryonic Heart Rate
by Mazin T. Alber
||Determining the Effects of Alcohol on the 5-Day Chicken Embryo Heart Rate
by Colin McKenna
Back to top
2011 National Association of Biology Teachers Undergraduate Research Exhibition
October 14, 2011
2011 Penn State Regional Undergraduate Research Exhibition
Penn State Lehigh Valley campus
April 20, 2011
Awarded 1st Place Overall
2011 Penn State Undergraduate Exhibition
April 13, 2011
Awarded 1st Place in Course-based Project
2009 Penn State Lehigh Valley Undergraduate Research
and Scholarship Symposium
Society for Developmental Biology 67th Annual Meeting
University of Pennsylvania, PA
July 26-30, 2008
2008 Penn State Lehigh Valley Undergraduate Research
and Scholarship Symposium
April 30, 2008
6th Annual Conference Undergraduate Research and Expression
Albright College Saturday April 16, 2005
4th Annual Conference on Undergraduate Research and Creativity
Kutztown University, Saturday April 26, 2003
2nd Annual Research Fair at Penn State Berks Lehigh Valley College
Monday April 14, 2003
3rd Annual Conference on Undergraduate Research and Creativity
Presented by The Berks County Higher Education Council
Saturday April 13, 2002
This page was last
modified November 2nd 2011.
Send questions or comments to email@example.com